“Would you describe yourself as beautiful?” What an awkward question to ask isn’t it? From my experience, women tend to underestimate themselves more than men do. Having said that, when Dove presented its “#ChooseBeautiful” commercial, I wasn’t that surprised with the numbers: only 4% chose “Beautiful” and the remaining 96% rated themselves as “Average”. Just take a look at the following video:
The “experiment” took place in San Francisco, Shanghai, Delhi, London and Sao Paulo. Now… let’s be real for moment. Is beautiful something that one can choose? From my personal experience, that are mainly two types of beauty: inner and outer.
Inner Beauty Vs. Outer Beauty
Let’s start with outer beauty. It’s not consensual. Each country has their own standards regarding what they consider to be beautiful. However, there are certain traits that can be considered universally beautiful. You know… there are some people (the lucky ones) that are considered beautiful not only in their home countries but also across borders.
Then, there is inner beauty, which in my opinion, is the embodiment of all those qualities that can change one’s perception about you (in a positive way). Some people believe that inner beauty is something that “ugly people” say to make themselves feel better. Personally, I think that statement couldn’t be more far away from the truth. I’m a firm believer that inner beauty exists and it should be celebrated.
So… Are You Beautiful Or Average?
What about you? Which door would you choose? Beautiful or Average? I would encourage people to walk through the “Beautiful” door. Let’s face it, most of the times, one cannot choose to be beautiful (physically). However, that should not define how people feel inside. Yes, though we have “limited power” over our physical traits, we still have a saying about how we feel.